Thursday, January 19, 2012

About Me

My name is Laura and I am currently working on obtaining my second degree in Dental Hygiene atTWU. My first degree is in Art History from TCU and although I loved the field of art, the job prospects were not that great. After looking for a job for two years, I decided that I would become a dental assistant to try something new. After completion of my dental assisting course, I began to work at a pediatric dentist's office and fell in love with the field of dentistry. This encouraged me to pursue a degree in dental hygiene specifically because I felt that so many people are discouraged from working in pediatrics because they think it is too challenging.

While work and school take up most of my time, I enjoy reading and watching TV when I have some free time. I also enjoy spending time with my two dogs, Wyatt and Leroy. However, my free time is limited because on top of work and school, I am also planning to get married in April. I am completely obsessed with my wedding, and it is all I can ever think about some days.

I decided to take this class because we have a lot of mothers who bring their children into the office and I wanted to connect with them on certain health issues. I thought that it would also be valuable information for myself as I began to age and become more responsible for my own health. I have also closely followed the debate over planned parenthood and other woman's health topics and am interested in these topics.

Looking forward to chatting and getting to know everyone better!

2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    I think it’s great that you are coming back to school to pursue something you love. I think that your reasons for taking this course are very admirable and demonstrate your level of dedication to your patients. I can’t wait to get to know you better this semester.

    Sincerely,
    Naomi Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Laura,
    Let me start by saying, good for you that you are pursuing a second degree in something you discovered you loved even more. From age 9 right up until I graduated with my first Associate's Degree in Science, I had my mind dead set on being a DVM-a large animal vet, staying on the farm and taking care of my friends' and neighbors' livestock. God had other plans. I met my husband, got married and put my career on hold. It was my husband's job that brought us to Arlington, Texas nearly 25 years ago. It'll be 24 years in March that I've been working in the dental field, first as an assistant, the last nearly 16 as a hygienist.
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding. It's a very exciting time. It's also tough being the parent and trying to focus on anything else when you're helping to plan a wedding, beleive me. My daughter got married three years ago this past October. We planned it for a year. It was beautiful!! They got married outside on a ranch. Now, we have a beautiful granddaughter who will be two in a couple of months. I wish you the best of luck.
    I love kids and am volunteering with Dental Health of Arlington screening elementary kids and placing sealants. They are always so appreciative. We also educate the parents on how to care for their children's teeth. It is very rewarding.
    I am torn between continuing my community health studies with children or with senior adults. People are living a lot longer these days and I am not sure if this country is prepared for their care, medical or dental. The older I get, the more concerned I become, especially being a Baby Boomer, myself.

    ReplyDelete